If you still don't know the benefits of an IT certification, this is the article for you. The world of IT is a highly active field, with plenty of opportunities for career advancement. Very few sectors are growing as fast as information technology. And, as the industry develops, many new certifications continue to appear on the market.
An IT certification demonstrates your dedication, motivation, and technical knowledge in a specific platform or vendor, like for example Microsoft or Cisco. Once you earn an IT certification, you join a select group of individuals with demonstrated specific skills.
10 reasons to gain an IT certification
- Getting hired: competition for IT jobs can be hard, and having a certification is a great advantage over those who do not have one.
- Attractive salaries: statistics show that people who have an IT certification will earn 13.7% more than their non-certified colleagues.
- Flexibility and better time management: for people who don’t have a certification it can take years to learn the necessary skills.
- Technology moves fast: employers need to have strong evidence that you're up to date with the latest technologies, and there's no better way to provide this proof than to provide a recently passed IT certification.
- Certifications help you move up at work: there's no better way to show your boss how valuable of an asset you are than to get certified.
- Networking opportunities: once you earn a certification with a specific vendor, you join a unique group of certified and skilled professionals.
- Access to more (and newer) resources: depending on the organization which you gain your certifications with, you may gain access to online forums, and additional training and learning materials.
- Achieve a personal goal: certifications earned in this way may be the most satisfying of all, as they validate your work and reward you for your own efforts.
- Partner Programs: some companies may require that there be a certain number of certified individuals associated with their organization to maintain a current partner level with a specific vendor.
- Boost your self-confidence: high confidence often results in success.
Plenty of IT certification options available to you
Regardless of where you currently find yourself on your career journey, the IT industry provides plenty of certification opportunities. Whether you’re just starting and don’t see yourself as particularly tech-savvy, or you are looking to scale the ladder, there are numerous options to choose from.
MeasureUp is the leading provider of certification practice tests and assessments for IT professionals. At MeasureUp, we provide the necessary tools to reinforce learning and validate knowledge for students, instructors, and clients of hundreds of corporations, career colleges, and technical training facilities worldwide.
By preparing with our practice tests and associated learning material, you will be able to study, practice, and prepare for prestigious certifications including:
- Microsoft Certifications: After achieving certification, 23% of Microsoft Certified Technologists reported receiving a 20% pay raise. Additionally, certified employees are often tasked with supervising their peers, putting them in a prime position for promotion!
- Cisco: Cisco Certifications are universally recognized as an industry standard for network design and support, ensuring high levels of knowledge and credibility. They have certifications than range from basic network technologies to more specific areas and advanced technology such as security, wireless networks, and IP telephony.
- CompTIA: CompTIA certifications help individuals create exceptional careers in information technology and enable organizations to build confident and knowledgeable staff. Whether you work in IT or are considering a job in IT, a CompTIA certification is your key to new opportunities and higher salaries.
- PMI: PMP certifications can help improve your project management skills, making you better at managing issues as important as time, costs, risks, quality, and people. This can quickly lead to increasing your salary thanks to the new functions and responsibilities such a qualification can enable you to assume, and the greater facilities that it provides to work internationally.
Quit smoking, go to the gym, go jogging, read more... These are some of the most common New Year's resolutions. After learning about all the benefits getting certified can have for your professional career, it might not be a bad idea to include an IT certification among them.
Now is the time to start your journey!